This white paper document below describes the upgrade path for migrating Team Foundation Server 2010 towards TFS 2015 environments on premise.
In order to do a TFS upgrade from TFS 2010 to TFS 2015, a TFS Development environment needs to be setup for testing the upgrades. This TFS development is a single server environment that will have a SQL server and TFS installed on the same development single server box. However the TFS version can be prior to v2015 but greater than v2010.
So in the white paper document of section 5.3, the client has a test TFS 2015 installed on the development server. Then once testing has been completed for migrating TFS 2010 to TFS 2015 in the development envrionment, replicate the upgrade process on the production TFS 2015 environment. More details on the production server is outline in section 5.4 of the white paper.
In summary, upgrading TFS consists of the following process:
- Perform pre upgrade prerequisites check list;
- Install SQL Server 2014 individually on the the development and on the production server;
- Back up TFS 2010 database;
- Restore the TFS 2010 database into the test SQL Server 2014;
- Verify migrated TFS database has been attached in the test SQL Server 2014;
- Install TFS 2015 on both the test and production server
- Perform TFS post upgrade checklist
- Perform step 4, 5 & 7
For more details about TFS migration from 2010 to 2015, view the white paper below: