To allow New Zealand (NZ) Energy unit to easily manage version control, upload and check-in/out their documents & drawings on the SharePoint 2010 intranet site, RCR Tomlinson needs to empower the users to achieve the following business goals:
- Deliver NZ Automation Source Control (ASC) intranet site collection that will record what changes were made to the document;
- Record who made the changes;
- Keep version history archive; and
- Reporting tool to track what users had done via version history.
To achieve the objective, the following event-receiver features were implemented:
- Item checking in – Validate the end-user to having to enter mandatory comments prior to checking in a document;
- Item checked in – Increment revision number of document according to RCR document life cycle, that is: If a document is tested in office, then use revision 1; If document was downloaded to a site and modified, then use revision 2; If a document was modified outside original scope, then use revision 3; and
- When downloading a check-in document file, there is a custom menu download link provided to the end-users. When user clicks on this download link, a pop-up dialog window will ask user to confirm checking out a document prior to downloading and opening the document for update.
The As-Built documentations on how to deploy the ASC solutions can be downloaded below: